November 13 2008 Ycabc Minutes

Yakima County Asset Building Coalition Meeting
November 13, 2008

Present: Sylvia Martinez, Bill Stevens, Michele Besso, David Gilbreath, Matthew Solomon, Carole Folson-Hill, David Hacker.

Minutes: The word “keg-line” needed to be changed to ”tag-line.” With that change made it was moved and seconded to approve the minutes. Motion passed.

EITC Report: Michele reported that they will look for ad havoc sites. One of the first things that needs to be done is to recruit a bi-lingual person. She plans go to Davis High School and present the need for a translator to see if any of the students would be interested in working with us. Heritage has also been contacted regarding a translator.

Matthew passed out some flyers for advertisement. Those who would volunteer would be offered a stipend for mileage, etc.

The next EITC committee meeting will be Nov. 18th at 9 am. Michele will check with People for People to see if the meeting can be there.

VISTA Up-Date: The VISTA person who will be working with us is Lindsay Jacobsen, email moc.oohay|023znil#moc.oohay|023znil. She will attend the training in CA in December and then will begin here with us.

WABC Report: Matthew reported on the WABC meeting he attended. He sat with the Coalitions from Moses Lake and Wenatchee. They talked about keeping in touch with each other and sharing their efforts. Matthew shared a flyer listing the various initiatives proposed in WA state. The Coalition can send a letter supporting an initiative. Dave Hacker moved that at our next meeting we address our support of the 3 initiatives. Motion seconded and passed. Matthew will make sure the document of the initiatives he has is the final one not a draft.

Resource Review & Inventory Work: A list from Lee of an inventory that will be important to have for the IDA program was distributed.

It was suggested that KDNA be included in the list. It was also suggested that FIESTAS (which should be CIESTAS) probably should not be included. Carole Folsom-Hill said that they are going to be offering a class on finances. The Attorney General’s Office (AGO) has a seminar they offer on financial education. There are also other organizations that do the same thing.

During a time of discussion the suggestion was made that there should be someone to administer the IDA program. The question was brought up about what kind of group our Coalition is and what other Coalitions are. Do we need to become a 501©3? What would be involved for this Coalition to become a 501©3?

Matthew will talk to Lee about scheduling a meeting to create a strategic plan.

Motion made seconded and passed to adjourn the meeting.

The next meeting will be 9 am, December 11th, at EPIC’s Fireside Room.

Respectfully submitted,
Ann Goebel
EPIC Administrative Assistant